A dental implant is a titanium metal post that substitutes for a missing tooth's root. This titanium post is placed at the exact location of the missing tooth. This tooth restoration process takes several months and is conducted over a series of appointments. Once the post is in place, the patient can usually enjoy the full benefits of a dental implant.
Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that preserves your jawbone tissue. The tooth roots provide stimulation to the jawbone, keeping them healthy. When a tooth is extracted, the jawbone tissue is no longer receiving stimulation and begins to deteriorate. But after dental implant surgery, the jawbone tissue begins to heal and regenerate around the newly implanted post.
How Are Dental Implants Placed?
Dental implant placement generally occurs in a few steps. The titanium post is surgically placed into the jawbone. After this, the implant will need to heal or fuse with the bone before the next step.
The implant will fuse with the bone in a process known as osseointegration. This can take anywhere from three to six months. Once the implant has healed, the abutment is placed on top of the implant. This is the top part of the implant that is designed to blend in with your natural teeth. The abutment is then used to hold a dental crown in place. So, once it's placed, an impression will be taken and sent to a laboratory where the restoration will be fabricated.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants offer numerous benefits.
- One of the most obvious benefits of dental implants is that they improve your appearance.
- They allow you to have a full, healthy, and natural-looking smile.
- They can help restore your ability to speak clearly and naturally.
- Implants mimic the roots of teeth, helping to preserve the structure of your jaw bone.
- With dental implants, patients can eat their favorite foods again. They are sturdy and can hold up to the force of biting and chewing.
- They are the most durable dental restoration available.
- As implants replace the root of a tooth, the longevity and strength of the tooth could be enhanced.
Bay Area Dental provides many cosmetic dental services under the expertise of an experienced dentist. Call dentist in Oakland CA and book your appointment to achieve the smile you have always wished for.